Monday, August 1, 2011

An Exciting Day!

Gotta Love this Hobby / Passion / Addiction!

My Exciting Cache Day:

No secret to where this happened..one of my usual beaches ...the lovely sand of Seal Beach. It's been pretty slow this year. Silver rings and jewelery still being lost but the gold seems to be getting rarer. I generally do hit one or two pieces of jewelery every hunt but most likely to be junk (In metal detecting parle, ":Junque"). I never study my finds while detecting...I just put them away and think about the possibilities.

This particular day I hit a piece of jewelery and my heart beat a little faster. Looked good...might be Gold! Next swing and another! My heart beat faster! Every swing got me another piece. It started to get a bit uncomfortable as I was only 5 feet away from some sunbathers (I normally never get closer). There was jewelery strewn in a small area about 5 feet wide by 12 feet long. Locate, dig, put it away. I guess I do it well as nobody noticed what I was finding. They were all between 3" and 6" deep and were found with my PI (Pulse Induction detector) in the dry sand about 20 feet from a lifeguard tower. When I thought I had everything I went back to the car and got the XP Deus (my other metal detector more sensitive to small gold) out. I found 3 more signals and 3 more pieces. Total is 30 pieces.

Unfortunately it is all junque. Not a gold or silver in the bunch. There were a couple of matching earrings and 2 mismatching cufflinks with the rest assorted broaches and earrings. I've got these all together in a small bag to remember my excitement as I was digging them up. The jewelery was not real...but the Excitement sure was!

In thinking about how the "cache" got there...one possibility I wonder if these were included or part of ashes thrown in the ocean. However all the pieces were dry and had no water damage and can't have been there longer than one day as the spot is hit hard by at least a half dozen of us.

So it's a mystery.

The first photo is of my favorites from the bunch...and the second is the whole bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment